Friday, May 13, 2005

Anti-Security Mom

Welcome to my first attempt at sharing my random musings. I’ve decided that the best place to say what I want is a place where only I have the password. :) I make no claims to have any answers or even the answer. I promise to always speak my mind, and unlike the President will apologize if I later find out my opinion on something was off base or wrong. I am not an expert, I have three kids, a full time job, a live in mother in law and a husband so time is always limited. I don’t promise that everything I say will be interesting or even that funny. I can’t claim to have lived a colorful life, but I still plan to share so that maybe just maybe something I’ve experienced will help someone else or someone will have sage advice for something I am struggling with. If you are sensitive, or expect this lady to be soft and nice then you are in the wrong place. Check your feelings at the door folks. I am opinionated, sometimes abrasive and generally not very worried about other’s feelings. So with that said, I’ll get to the name of the blog….Anti Security Mom.

So much has been made over the 'security moms' making such a difference for Bush in the last election. I've had to step back and ask myself if I too am a security mom, I care about my children’s safety; in fact it is of the utmost importance to me, but alas I do not believe I would ever claim the title of security mom.

To be a security mom it seems that one must check all critical thought at the door. To claim that one voted for Bush because they now feel safer and that their children are safer just seems asinine when you consider the situation in this country. Just the other day, we watched the Capital evacuated because of a small single engine plane flying into restricted airspace. Do you think the people on the ground felt safer, did all those moms at work think ‘wow I'm glad President Bush is watching our back?’ Speaking of Bush, do you think these security moms realized where exactly GWB was and what he was doing? I know that I felt so much more secure with him out riding his bicycle as it meant he was not able to launch another pre-emptive attack on an unsuspecting sovereign nation. BTW…do we know if the secret service ever re-installed the training wheels that came with that shiny bike of his?

So I am the Anti-Security Mom. I believe my children's safety falls squarely on the shoulders of removing the Republican's from the majority in DC. I will not have to worry about my children being drafted to fight a war based on the lies and rhetoric from a paper cutout President. I believe we will be safer when we have leadership that understands the need to sit back down at the table to talk about nuclear weapons. I also believe that we all will feel safer when we worry less that our right to free speech is protected and valued by the leadership of our country.

This current presidency has done little if anything to help us feel more secure. I believe as a mother it is irresponsible to my children to turn a blind eye to that fact and jump on the bandwagon. I refuse to check critical thought or my own family values and responsibility at the door and sign that loyalty oath to this regime. I am loyal to my country, my family and my friends. If that isn’t enough so be it, but for now that is all I have and all I am.

I hope this turns out to be therapeutic for me and entertaining for you, but it is my first try and I expect to learn as I go so patience is always appreciated.

4 comments:

jen said...

Absolutely Awesome, gf! Your first at bat and hit it out of the park! I'm going to have a very difficult time keeping this a secret and not putting a link up on my blog. But I will respect your wishes because I love and respect you! You got something to say, and I think good people want to hear it. Mwah! Jen

Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chuck said...

Fat finger error deleted!

Good looking start Kristen!

I'm new to blogging too. Keep up the good work! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog name!