Tuesday, May 29, 2007

1st Official Day as a Stay at Home Mom

Ok, so technically the day isn't done as my husband hasn't walked in the door for the official toddler pass off, but it's getting close and I can always amend my post if it suits me.

Today started at 4:00 a.m. today when the clock radio/alarm started bellowing. Somehow that darn thing is still on my side table. I think my husband secretly resents that I don't have to get up. Okay, the resentment really isn't that big of a secret right now. What started out as a great plan for me to stay home is starting to sour with him, but honestly I digress.

Thankfully, Noah didn't wake up until 6:30 am so that gave me two very glorious hours with the news, too bad it all seems to be ugly. He started the day out beautifully, very excited that we will be having a 'home day'. It only took three short hours for me to wonder if I had my head on straight when I made this decision.

A short trip to the store, that was all it was suppose to be, but Noah had other plans. He has decided that he is a big boy now and does not want to sit in his 'baby' car seat. Thirty minutes of discussion and a final promise that we will look for a big boy car seat if he will just get into his seat and let us get our errands started. No, I'm not above bribing him!

Finally, the store...the plan is to run in grab the few things we need and circle back past the crayons. First obstacle, Noah would not get into the cart and he took off running towards the crayon aisle. Ok, I figured I could handle this, he would pick out something quickly and I could bribe him to get into the cart so he could look at his new treasure. I did mention my full belief in bribes didn't I?

Ah, the wants of a four year old are many..."I want clay...I want chalk...I want finger paints...I DON'T want crayons!" I should have recognized the warning signs of a full on temper tantrum. What was I thinking taking him to the store two hours before his nap! Of course, I forgot that I am no super mom; I am not faster than a speeding toddler! Three aisles away from the art supplies and it hit...World War Noah! It was that first smack across my face that shook me out of my denial that my child would make it through the store like the sweet little prince we glimpse when he is sound to sleep. Now, of course the negotiations begin again and I started to hear the chuckles of all the retired folks wandering aimlessly through their mall walk.

I did what any good working mother would do, I left the cart right where it sat, scooped him up like a sack of potatoes, and took off straight for the car. Screw the crayons! I can pretend to know what I'm doing another day!

There was a recent story about a group of moms that get their kids together for play dates and while the kids play the moms down a bottle or two of wine. At first my holier than thou working mother attitude thought 'how irresponsible'...after today I know realize that the wine is the fountain of sanity for stay at home moms!

No comments: