Monday, May 21, 2007

The New Adventures of Anti-Security Mom

Last week I made a giant leap into the unknown and quit my job. Yes, I know what in the world was I thinking to just up and quit without a safety net?! We moms have far more to think about than our personal happiness and how in the world did I think quitting was really an option?!

Well the short and sweet answer is 'because I said so'!

Right now I'm struggling with the internal battle of how can I make such a selfish choice to cut our income so drastically and the reality that I was giving far more to people that never appreciated an ounce of my effort than I was to my family. After sitting in a meeting and being told that 60+ hours a week was a reasonable amount of time to give to the company and there was absolutely no need to work on the work/life balance and then the next day pulling my 4 year old into daycare at 5:30 am with him kicking, screaming and pleading with me to stay home I realized that management was either smoking some heavy drugs or I was for agreeing to sacrifice the entire reason I took the job in the first place.

I have decided to stay home for the summer with the kids and we will re-evaluate the plan once school starts and my oldest returns to Las Vegas.

The real test is am I cut out to be a stay at home mom? I'm definitely not one of those miracle moms that always manages to keep that sing-song tone in her voice even when the kids are swinging from the ceiling of the local department store.

Stay tuned for updates. I'm sure I'll have plenty of new stories to share, but hopefully my kids will also have more to say about their summer than 'mommy took me to daycare'.

No comments: